When thinking of where I get my news, there seems to be two parts of my life: the part that is before October 18th, 2009 and the part that is after. The only thing that changed is that I was charged to follow two blogs plus the New York Times. By simply reading these sites (at very least once a week) I have been kept current on the news. In my earlier blog, Round Two, I mention how one must read several sources to get the truth; this fact has not changed. By separating myself from my predisposition to lean right, I have picked blogs that are quality, but that might not always agree with each other. This allows me to get a good sample of the news.
It is very evident that my sources have changed since October 18th. In fact, just two blog posts after I wrote Round Two, I write all about my reading of the New York Times. “One story I have seen over and over is about anything to do with the H1N1 vaccine or the virus itself. “ This one simple phrase illustrates several things. First and foremost, because that passage is a reference to the New York Times, it proves that I have been reading the news online. The second thing is proves is that I have become more independent. I no longer rely on others to mention news.
My life has not dramatically changed since I began reading online. It is rather handy to have news and blog sites bookmarked so I can catch up anytime. Before this section, I would never have had those bookmarks. The most drastic change is that now, when people talk about the news, I can be a part of the telling, not the listening.
This blog post was written in response to my own Round Two blog. I decided that I would counter that blog with an update in my reading habits. However, I have both countered and forwarded. By updating my previous reading habits, as mentioned in paragraph one, I have successfully countered myself. However, in paragraph two I quote myself (which I’ll admit was kind of odd) and use my words to prove a point. This is known as illustrating (Harris 39).
As an aside, through this blog post I have learned that countering and forwarding are both very natural parts of writing. We do them like second nature. The complicated part lies in discovering what we have written. Our basis for writing is already there and so all we must do is develop our skills. This class is not teaching us to write, it is teaching us to realize what we write.

I also feel more independent when I go to get my news. I don't need others to mention it since we started following our blogs and the New York Times. Good post
ReplyDeleteThis is very true in the sense that we do counter and forward all the time. The skill of recognition however is learned after we are shown our I guess you could call it our iniquity. This is a very strong post, good job.
ReplyDelete