Ever since I read Jarvis’ article, it’s like a song has been stuck in my head. By this I mean that I feel as if I can draw diagrams for everything.
In the case of my blog choices related to the New York Times, try to envision this:
The News (New York Times) gets its information from various sources. It writes articles of various lengths about events that are occurring around the world. Bloggers (like Greta and Sullivan) read this news and write about it. They insert their own opinions on matters and at times do a little digging and report more related news. Responses to these blogs are then posted. The more responses posted, the more popular the blog is and the more attention it get. The cycle is complete when the news agency reports again on a story to appease the readers’ interests.
If you are a strict believer in the ‘press sphere’, you probably are not a fan of blogging. In the earliest days of blogging, news agencies and blogs were separate. Today, the same anchors we see on television have their names atop the top blog charts. From the perspective that media is a living creature, blogs have given the press sphere the ability to reach outside its boundaries to consume any topic.
On the other hand, the classic battle that has raged on between conservatives and democrats is perpetuated in the relationship between blogs and news. If, for example, Fox runs a story that seems slanted right, CNN may not report on it but it is a guarantee that the CNN anchors who have blogs will share their thoughts.
So, it is plausible that if we take the good with the bad, and maybe look at the glass as half full, connections between news and blogs are a good thing. In our first section of reading, I learned that internet is not destroying the world; it is simply changing it. As this section continues, I would expect nothing less that to learn that the press sphere is not a threat to the world and that once again, the truth is somewhere in the middle of all the critics.

Your diagram-like paragraph was really helpful, Ben, in outlining the relationship between the Times and blogs. The next step is to start finding examples demonstrating that or something similar.
ReplyDelete