Since the first ever blog site opened, there has been an ongoing and sometimes intense argument about whether or not blogging is truly writing. As most arguments go, the people that say the blogging is indeed writing are the ones that are doing the blogging. Those who say it is not, are the ones who either dislike blogs or are strictly traditional writers.
The perspective of Andrew Sullivan is highly valued when considering this argument because he is both a longtime blogger, and an even longer time traditional writer. In his article “Why I Blog”, he mentions that one thing he is fond of is how quickly a blog can be posted. This rapidity gives him an excitement which normal writing cannot do. “For bloggers,” Sullivan says “the deadline is always now.” The excitement that Sullivan describes also seems to come from the dangerous aspect of blogging. Sullivan insists that bloggers must be careful to not make blog posts in fits of rage or in very personally emotional moments. He is not suggesting, however, limiting their posts by excluding emotion. In fact, he says in referring to his blogging during the September 11th attacks that “There is a vividness to [the] immediacy [of blogging] that cannot be rivaled by print.
Many people in my English 105 class have mentioned how freeing blog form is and how there is little accountability for what is written. However, Sullivan states blogging holds you “more accountable, not less”. This is because people who are reading blogs are not afraid to be rude when they comment on your writing. There is no face to face meeting with an editor; the writing comes straight from the authors mind and fingertips to the eyes of a reader, or often times harsh critic. Traditional writing has always separated itself from scrutiny by using the aforementioned editors and blogging is a way to test your true, unrehearsed writing ability by fire.
Another thing Sullivan mentions that is great about blogging is the ability to check the validity of information instantaneously. When writing a book or news article, writers often quote their sources. However, very few people actually take the time to check the source, even if they do not believe the writer. In blogging, the author has the ability to input hyperlinks that have their source information on them so that critics and fans alike can validate the material.
Throughout the whole article, Sullivan makes comparisons between tradition writing and blogging. The theme of these differences really boils down to what type of personality you have. If you like to write slowly and be cautious about what you write by having someone check it for you, blogging is probably not your forte. However, if you like to step outside of the box and take risks that are sometimes scary, but always exciting, then give blogging a try!

I'm having trouble getting my posts to indent correctly, anyone know how to fix that?
ReplyDeleteWell, I have no idea about the indenting thing,
ReplyDeleteHowever, I agree with what you're saying about personality, Many older people will probably never get into blogs because it is risk that they aren't willing to take. What you say about taking a risk in blogging because the commenters are often much harsher because they don't have to meet you face to face is true. It is about personality and blogging allows the writer to step outside the box and take that risk. Good post!
Yeah, I gave up entirely on indentation. I just hit enter a couple of times to indicate a new paragraph.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said, "if you like to write slowly and be cautious about what you write by having someone check it for you, blogging is probably not your forte." I've been having a little bit of trouble with these blog entries because I am one of those writers. When I write an essay or something for school, I languish in front of my laptop for hours at a time, painstakingly looking over my choice of words until everything is exactly right. And then I will reread and reedit over the course of the next few days to ensure that everything is perfect. With these blog responses, you just don't have the time to do that. That's why I totally agree with Sullivan that blogging is the "extreme sports" of the writing world. You definitely have to be confident enough to put yourself out there like that!
I did like Amanda and gave up on the indenting. Instead I went with line breaks between paragraphs. This is pretty standard for blogs. But please return to indenting -- and drop line breaking -- later when you're writing extended essays.
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a solid summary and consideration of Sullivan. I especially liked your attention to Sullivan's comparison between blogging and traditional writing. Some writers may prefer one form or the other, depending upon style and personality. And then there are those many, such as Sullivan, who like both blogging and more traditional writing for the opportunities each provides.