Monday, September 14, 2009

Google vs Your Noodle

Is Google making us stupid? Think about it, really. When was the last time you wanted to know something and weren’t around a computer, so you didn’t find it out? Now on the other hand, when was the last time you wanted to know something and were around a library and you still didn’t look it up? Face it, we just don’t use libraries like we used to. Thanks to the online revolution, one can find out literally anything on the internet. Those who disagree with me will probably be screaming to themselves “That’s what I’m talking about! Without the internet, people won’t take the time to look things up!” Fortunately, the internet is something that annot be undone.

Throughout Nicholas Carr’s article, he presents an unenthusiastic opinion of the internet’s effect on us. However, early in the article he makes a statement that I could not get past. “My mind isn’t going—so far as I can tell—but it’s changing.” So, that said, I would like to present to you that Google (and the like) and not making us stupid; rather, changing the way we think.

I find it very hard to deduce anything about whether or not Google is making us stupid from my classmate’s notes only. They show nothing of time spent reading books, or even spent looking things up in a library. I can however speak for my own internet habits. I do not feel that I am any less intelligent because of Google and the internet. I actually feel as though I am smarter because I quite literally have the world at my finger tips. I believe it would be hard to find out trivia, though basically useless, such as why a 3 Musketeers bar is named the way it is. Google has opened to everyone a world which they may have previously been unaware.

2 comments:

  1. Fortunately, you don't have to rely upon the Internet for candy bar trivia. You have college instructors for that.

    ReplyDelete